OFFICIAL ADJACENT FESTIVAL ADA GUIDE
Adjacent Festival is an accessible event, and we are dedicated to continually improving our efforts to ensure you have access to all the event amenities. We welcome and encourage all feedback and suggestions from our patrons. The following explains the services provided this year. Please read this informational guide thoroughly before sending an inquiry email. For any accessibility-related questions not answered in the guide, please email us at ADA@adjacentfestival.com. We will do our best to assist you and address your accessibility needs.
The venue is navigable for people with mobility disabilities. While the event is held on a sandy beach, there will be accessible beach decking pathways connected throughout the venue including the beach, entrances/exits, the event stages, the ADA viewing areas, restrooms, vendors, and other activities. We encourage all guests with mobility disabilities to utilize personal forms of transportation, including wheelchairs and scooters. If you need to recharge your motorized wheelchair, you may do so at the Accessibility Services Hub. Patrons should bring all cords and accessories needed to charge their devices. Chargers must use a 110-volt, 20 amp circuit.
We will not be providing wheelchair or scooter rentals.
While there is no designated festival parking, there will be ADA parking spots available throughout all general parking garages and lots near the festival area, including at hotels. ADA parking is available in these lots on a first come, first serve basis. You will need a verified handicap placard, permit, or license plate to park in these spaces. The person to whom the handicap credential is issued must be present in the vehicle, as a driver or passenger.
There will be an ADA entrance located off of the boardwalk between Ohio Ave & Michigan Ave, which will be labeled with signage. Disabled guests may use this entrance to safely enter the venue. After using the ADA entry, please visit the Accessibility Services Hub immediately after so that you can inquire of our services.
Accessibility Services HUB
Please Note: You must stop here to get your ADA wristband credential. There is no ADA pre-registration before the event – this is all done onsite at the event.
There will be an Accessibility Services Hub conveniently located inside the venue, near the ADA entrance. At this location, you can:
- Get your ADA wristband credential
- Get your ADA questions answered
- Learn about our accessibility services
- ADA wristbands are good for the whole day(s) you have purchased tickets for
- DO NOT remove your wristband for the entire duration of the event
- One companion wristband will be issued for each disabled patron (exceptions will be made for families with young children)
- If a disabled guest wants to switch their companion, please bring the old companion wristband to the Accessibility Services Hub to be reissued
Accessible Viewing Areas
There will be accessible viewing areas made available to ADA patrons at the event stages. To gain access to these areas, please visit us at the Accessibility Services Hub.
Accessible Viewing Area Policies:
- Companions may be asked to stand in the back if capacity is reached
- Patrons and companions may not smoke in these areas
- Patrons may not save spots
- Do not block the view of the guests behind you
Service animals are permitted throughout the venue. However, this does not include emotional support animals, therapy animals, or companion animals. Any animal whose task is to provide protection, emotional support, well-being, comfort, or companionship is not considered a service animal and will not be allowed into the venue. Only service animals that have been individually trained and are under the proper care of their owners will be allowed within the premises.
The following guidelines must be followed:
- All service animals must be registered with the ADA department upon entry into the event
- All service animals must remain by the handler’s side at all times and must be harnessed, leashed, or tethered. If these devices interfere with the service animal’s work or if the handler’s disability prevents the use of these devices, the handler must maintain control of the animal through voice, signal, or other effective controls
- Service animals must be housebroken and should use the service animal relief area
- Anyone bringing an animal will be responsible for and liable for any damage or injury caused by the animal
- All service animals should have legally required vaccinations (which ADA staff may ask to see for verification)
We ask that you do not leave your animal in your car while you’re inside the event, as vehicles without air conditioning on may become too hot and unsafe for any animal.
Effective Communication Requests
We accept requests for any of the following services:
- ASL Interpretation
- Other forms of Effective Communication
Requests for these services must be emailed to us at least 30 days prior to the event to allow for sufficient preparation. The deadline for this event is April 27th, 2023. To submit a request, please email us at email@example.com with the subject line “Adjacent Festival 2023 Request”.
- First Aid: We have several First Aid locations throughout the venue, noted on the event maps and mobile app, if available. Professional medical staff can help you with your medical needs at these locations.
- Special Dietary Needs: The event will have food vendors that provide gluten-free dietary options. For those with special dietary needs beyond what will be offered at the event, please contact us at ADA@adjacentfestival.com for further assistance.
- Prescription Medications: All prescription medications must be in the original manufacturer container with your name on it, which matches your government-issued photo ID. Please only bring a sufficient amount of medication for the duration of the event. Your medications must be cleared by the medic team at the event entry.
Other Services: If you would like to request large format print/braille literature, guided tours for guests with visual disabilities, assisted listening device systems or another accommodation not listed, please reach out to us at ADA@adjacentfestival.com. If you require assistance on account of nursing or breast milk pumping, please reach out to the information team at Info@adjacentfestival.com.
Comments, Questions & Suggestions
Adjacent Festival will consider any request by a guest with disability for reasonable modification of its policies, practices or procedures or for auxiliary aids and services that will permit the guest equal enjoyment of the goods and services offered at the event. We encourage you to make any such request as far in advance as possible to enhance our ability to evaluate and fulfill the request.
In continually trying to make our event more accessible, we encourage you to contact us at ADA@adjacentfestival.com for any of your accessibility-related needs. Additionally, if you have any questions about ADA policies or our services, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
We hope you find this guide informative, we look forward to seeing you at Adjacent Festival!